The purpose of depression counselling or depression therapy is to help alter the way you think and react to situations. Depression typically displays thought that focus on a severe inability to perform daily functions, very low mood, personal helplessness, and other symptoms mentioned above. We want to change this way of thinking to a more normalized or more helpful thought process, through Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This involves focusing on a more realistic likelihood of various outcomes, and on the ability to cope and problem-solve challenging circumstances. By changing the way you think, we are able to also eliminate the physical symptoms associated with your depression.
In depression counselling, we will work to normalize your thoughts, reduce sadness, dispute irrational thoughts and unhelpful thinking styles, develop alternative perspectives, and form coping techniques to help deal with daily life and common stressors.
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
What is Depression?
Sadness and depression can often be confused, depending on each person’s perspective. Sadness and times of low mood are normal reactions to life’s struggles, setbacks, and conflicts. Depression is typically defined as at least a 2-week period consisting of several of the following symptoms:
– inability to perform daily functions (personal hygiene, work, school, relationships)
– intense and unrelenting feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, and worthlessness
– difficulty sleeping/ sleeping too much
– difficulty concentrating on tasks that were previously easy to focus on
– inability to control negative thoughtsloss of appetite or uncontrollable eating
– very irritable/ short-tempered/ aggressivemore alcohol consumption than usual
– thoughts that life is not worth living (please seek help as soon as possible if you identify with this symptom)
Depression Counselling in Etobicoke & Toronto
Services offered by Carly Clifton include: depression therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for depression, and Major Depressive Disorder counselling.