Eating Disorder Counselling
In eating disorder counselling, we will work to normalize your thoughts, redefine healthy body image and perception, dispute irrational thoughts and unhelpful thinking styles, develop alternative perspectives, and form coping techniques to help deal with daily life and common stressors. Eating disorders can be fatal, and it is urged to seek treatment as soon as possible.
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
What is an Eating Disorder?
An eating disorder involves constant, obsessive thoughts about food or weight, which often lead to insufficient or excessive food intake and/or exercise. More specifically, eating disorders can involve: binge eating, dieting, food and weight concerns, shape concerns, and body image concerns. These issues can be detrimental to an individual’s mental and/or physical health. The following are brief descriptions of the 3 most common eating disorders.
Binge Eating Disorder
– Binge eating 2-3 times per week without a compensatory behaviour (without purging, which is defined below)
– Normal weight
– Recurrent binge eating followed by compensatory purging behaviours
– Purging: self-induced vomiting, over-exercising, and/ or the usage of diuretics, enemas, and/or laxatives
– Below healthy body weight
– Obsessive fear of gaining weight
– Extreme food restriction to the point of self-starvation and excessive weight loss
– There are 2 types: restricting type (over-exercise and starvation to avoid gaining weight) and binge/purge type (overeat and then compensate through purging).
Eating Disorder Counselling in Etobicoke & Toronto
Services offered by Carly Clifton include: eating disorder therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for eating disorders, and Dialectial Behaviour Therapy (DBT).